What is the Best VPN?
Updated: April 7, 2016
There is no simple answer to which VPN is best, as there are numerous factors to be considered, and of course different people want different things from the VPN. But we do nonetheless offer a Best VPN Top 10, which is regularly updated, and takes into account all the key information any user might be thinking of when choosing a VPN. And at the time of writing, our pick of the best VPN is ExpressVPN.
This is the one question almost everyone visiting Fried.com for the first time is trying to answer. And if you were to ask me the question face-to-face, I would have to honest and say, ‘it depends’. This is why we have reviewed so many VPNs here at Fried.com and why our reviews dig down deep to give you all the relevant information you might need.
The fact is that there are many different factors to take into account when trying to compare VPNs, and also different users will use their VPN for different purposes. Therefore, what is the best VPN for one user might not necessarily be the best VPN for another.
What most users are looking for is ‘expert advice’ though, and that is certainly something we can provide. That’s why our IT experts personally review each and every VPN and write honest and up-to-date advice, guidance, and opinions on each of them.
Taking all possible factors into consideration, we therefore do put together an overall Top Ten Best VPN Service Review in which we rank the overall best VPNs on the market today.
So what is the best VPN?
At the time of writing, the VPN at the top of our Top Ten list is ExpressVPN. As you will see in our review, which is the most comprehensive you will find anywhere on the web, there are a number of reasons we have chosen ExpressVPN as the best.
First it is important to note that they are not the cheapest VPN available, but all our reviewers agree that they do currently offer the best value for money. For a monthly fee of between $8.32 and $12.95 (depending on how long you sign up with them for) you will get a VPN which is one of the most secure, and one of the fastest around. Throw in what is without doubt the most user-friendly interface we have ever seen with a VPN, the fact that they offer iOS and Android apps as well as support for a whole host of other operating systems, and it is obvious why ExpressVPN is so popular.
It's easy to try ExpressVPN out too as they offer a no-questions-asked, 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning that if you are not completely satisfied with their service, you can get every cent of your money back.
If that’s your pick of the best, why would I look at any others?
ExpressVPN might be our overall pick of which VPN is best, but it will certainly not be the right service for everyone. Firstly, they are not the cheapest, and if you have a tight budget you might want to look at some other on our list. Then there is the fact that while they have a wide variety of servers, they do not have them absolutely everywhere, and if you want to access geo-blocked content from some countries, such as China, ExpressVPN will not be able to help you. Equally, you might want a service whch uses a different Encryption protocol, or is located in another country.
So here is a very brief rundown of the rest of our current Top Ten, which you can see in full, and read the reviews of all entrants, here:
2. Cactus VPN – Only $6.99 a month, based in Moldova and with a verifiable no-logs policy and good speeds.
3. Buffered - $8.25 a month, a new player based in Hungary, which is already ruffling the feathers of the big boys with its secure, user-friendly, and fast service.
4. Hide My Ass - $9.99 a month, they are a well-known name with a consistent service and a good security record.
5. IPVanish - $6.49 a month, combine super-fast service and a no-logs policy to great effect.
6. VPNGate – Our pick of the free VPNs, run by the University of Tsukuba in Japan.
7. Private Internet Access - $10 a month, PIA are very quick and also offer a verified no-logs policy.
8. VYPRVPN - $6.67 a month, an old player effectively rebuilding a tarnished reputation with consistent speeds, although variable security levels.
9. NordVPN - $4 a month, an established name with a rock-bottom price offering a great consistent service.
10. CyberGhost - $5.83 a month, a consistent and popular provider with one of the best free versions as well.
What is the best VPN, is not a straightforward question to answer, and our primary advice to all readers is to research their product thoroughly before parting with their money. That what our reviews are here to help you with, and if you want to decide which VPN is best, there is no more comprehensive set of data anywhere on the web.
Different people want different things from their VPN, but our overall pick of the best VPN at the moment is ExpressVPN.